Common causes of low bar squat wrist pain include grip positioning, bar positioning, and wrist mobility. Changing your grip and bar position, wearing wrist wraps, and working on your wrist mobility are all possible solutions.
Why Does Your Wrist Hurt During Low Bar Squats?
Your Grip is Too Wide
Your Grip Is Too Narrow
The Barbell Is Too Low
How to Fix Wrist Pain While Squatting?
Work on Wrist Mobility
Change Your Grip Width
Use Wrist Wraps
We Recommend: WARM BODY COLD MIND Weight Lifting Wrist Wraps
Change Your Bar Height
Change the Barbell
How do I stop my wrist from hurting on low-bar squats?
Stopping your wrists from hurting during low bar squats involves a process of elimination where you need to check the underlying cause.
Start by changing your lifting position to see if that helps. Perform the wrist mobility exercises I've described above and use wrist wraps when lifting to provide convenient support to your wrist joints.
Is a low bar squat safer?
Whilst a low bar squat usually leads to better performance, it's much harder to execute correctly for most lifters. Good shoulder and wrist mobility is needed to maintain a proper lifting position throughout the squat, meaning any deviation from the correct position will increase the risk of injury.
Low bar squat wrist pain is a commonly reported problem among lifters. Causes include an incorrect grip and barbell position and poor wrist mobility. By experimenting with your grip and bar position, performing wrist mobility exercises, and using wrist wraps whilst lifting, you'll be lifting pain-free again in no time at all.
Have you experienced low bar squat wrist pain before? Have you tried to fix it? Let me know!
- Work on Wrist Mobility // CrossFit: https://https://www.crossfit.com/essentials/movement-about-joints-part-3-wrist
- Work on Wrist Mobility // ORTHOFIXAR: https://orthofixar.com/special-test/hand-wrist-movements/
- Work on Wrist Mobility // healthline: https://www.healthline.com/health/chronic-pain/wrist-and-hand-stretches#simple-stretches
- Use Wrist Wraps // bodybuilding: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-why-and-when-to-use-wrist-straps.html
- Change the Barbell // garagegymlab: https://garagegymlab.com/5-safety-squat-bar-benefits/
I'm Tanya, and I love lifting weights. 6 years ago, I picked up Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit. Weightlifting is a unique sport because it's just you against the bar. There are no teammates to help you out; it's all on you.
I'm also passionate about helping other women achieve their fitness goals. That's why I started my blog and write some products reviews. I want to show other women that they can do anything they set their mind to!