If you suffer from cellulite, you may wonder what methods you can use to reduce its appearance. Can you use a massage gun for cellulite?
In the following article, we will see what cellulite is, what causes this embarrassing condition, and finally, can a massage gun help with cellulite?
You can use a massage gun for cellulite. The vibrations will help increase blood flow, releasing built-up toxins in your fat cells and helping break up the fat cells under your skin.
What is a Massage Gun?
A massage gun is a portable, handheld device that looks similar to a power drill. Using one is often referred to as percussive massage treatment or vibration therapy.
They are usually wireless, use rechargeable batteries for power, and come with various attachments.
Once turned on, the gun vibrates at a high frequency, which helps people to recover from working out by reducing soreness.
Its ability to help aid muscle recovery is a significant benefit but is certainly not its only use.
Massage Gun For Cellulite — How Does It Work?
Cellulite is a common skin condition affecting as many as 90% of all women.
You may notice small patches of dimpled skin that look similar to cottage cheese if you have cellulite.
This condition is often noticed around the parts of a female's body where excess fatty tissue is stored, such as the buttocks, the hips, or thighs.
Cellulite can occur due to several factors, for example:
- Age: As you get older, your skin will be less elastic than it was when you were younger. This can cause cellulite to be more noticeable than before.
- Gender: Women are more likely to have cellulite than men. Not only because women tend to store fat in noticeable areas but because the dermis (the inner layer of your skin) is also thinner than males causing cellulite to be more visible.
- Diet: A diet high in fats and carbohydrates are at a higher risk of cellulite than those who eat a healthier diet.
- Genetics: Unfortunately, some people are more likely to encounter this issue than others, regardless of any other reason.
- Lifestyle: Regular exercise and a healthy diet free from fat and refined sugar can help reduce the risk of developing cellulite.
- Weight: Those who are overweight may encounter this issue more than others.
- Pregnancy: Estrogen is produced during pregnancy, which is terrible news as this hormone increases cellulite production.
The purpose of the massage is to increase blood flow to the area and help break up any cellulite fibers present.
Unfortunately, while massage can be effective and is one of the cheapest treatments available, it is certainly not the easiest. This is where a massage gun could come in handy.
Massage Gun For Cellulite Before and After Use
A massage gun using percussive therapy, a type of therapy used for centuries, uses a hammer-like motion to vibrate the skin and muscles quickly.
This deep, rhythmic and rapid tapping will help to stimulate blood flow in your body.
When blood flow is increased, your body will be better able to release any built-up toxins in your fat cells and help break up the fat cells under your skin that can then be absorbed and used by your body.
Research has proven that the vibrations caused by a massage gun can increase blood flow and, in turn, reduce cellulite.
Best Massage Gun For Cellulite
Massage Gun We Recommend
Many people would choose the Theragun for cellulite reduction. However, we would choose another option.
Our recommended massage gun would be the B37 Massage Gun.
This percussion gun for cellulite is made using premium materials, has an ergonomic design, and uses up to 56 lbs of force.
Despite its impressive power, you won't have to worry about noise, as the brushless motor has been soundproofed.
The percussion massager for cellulite has an angled handle that ensures a greater ability to reach those hard-to-reach areas and less arm fatigue.
It has an 8-hour battery life and a travel case with four interchangeable attachments for multiple uses.
How to Use a Massage Gun For Cellulite?
You should follow this simple guide to using a massage gun to reduce cellulite safely:
- While holding the massage gun, turn it on to medium speed.
- Hold the head of the gun gently over the area you want to massage. The head should be straight and not at a slant.
- Slowly apply pressure to the desired area. You should not feel any pain during this process.
- Move the head of the gun around the area slowly. Aim to maintain consistent pressure and stick to smaller circles throughout the massage.
- Focus on one area for 1-2 minutes before moving to another location. You should not exceed this time as you may experience pain, swelling, and bruising.
- After the massage, you may want to pinch your skin gently. This will help smooth out your skin and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Depending on your own experience, you should increase both the speed of the gun and the pressure applied. Remember, you should not be experiencing any pain at any point during the massage.
How Often to Use a Massage Gun For Cellulite?
Research has shown that for best results, you should aim to use a massage gun for cellulite at least five times a week, with each session lasting between thirty to sixty minutes.
Sticking to this schedule should see you experience a reduction in the size and appearance of any cellulite.
Other Ways to Reduce Cellulite
Using a massage gun is just one method to reduce cellulite. I would also recommend the following tips:
There are plenty of reasons why you should quit smoking. To start, it is incredibly hazardous to your health and could lead to you developing lung cancer.
Smoking is also not good for healthy skin as it can cause your skin to lose its elasticity, making your cellulite appear more prominently. It can also cause a reduction in the production of collagen, a problem that can cause more wrinkles to appear.
Reducing cellulite may be reason enough to start doing a little more if you are not getting enough daily exercise.
Intense exercise can help increase blood flow which can help break down those fat cells beneath the surface of your skin.
Making changes to your diet can help fight cellulite. Add citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruit as they contain vitamin C, shown to break down fat deposits.
Green tea, coffee, and chocolate should also be added as they contain antioxidants that help break down fatty acids.
Finally, consider eating more soybeans as they can help improve circulation. This can help move excess fluid from the surface of your skin, helping to reduce cellulite.
Dry Skin Brushing
This is an Ayurvedic method whereby a natural brush or loofah is used over your entire body. A process that helps improve blood circulation and will remove toxins from the surface of your skin.
The bristles found on the brush will help remove the surface toxins and dead skin cells. This will help your skin to appear smoother.
There are certain creams available designed to help combat cellulite.
Look for creams containing ingredients such as algae extract or collagen peptides, as both can help improve the firmness and elasticity of your skin while helping reduce water retention.
This method is not a quick fix, and you should rely on something other than a cream solely for this issue. It will have to be used in conjunction with other methods too.
Certain supplements can help promote healthy circulation that will improve the appearance of cellulite.
Ingredients such as green tea extract, turmeric, ginger, grape seed, and vitamin C can help.
Consider a Spray Tan
Do you have fair skin? If you do, your dimpled areas will be more noticeable than if you had darker skin.
A natural suntan will cause damage to your skin, making your cellulite look worse; instead, opt for a spray tan.
Will a Massage Gun Help With Cellulite?
A massage gun will improve blood circulation, which can help reduce the appearance of cellulite by removing the build-up of toxins from your fat cells.
Can a Massage Gun Break up Fat?
The massage gun will not break down fat itself. However, the increased blood flow will help with the break up of fat.
Can a Massage Gun Tighten Skin?
Using a massage gun can help remove excess fluid that can help your skin appear tighter and firmer.
If you have ever wondered if massage guns help with cellulite, I hope we have answered this question.
Used alongside other methods, a massage gun can help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
Please comment below if you have any other questions regarding the benefits of using a massage gun.
- The Impact of Vibration Therapy Interventions on Skin Condition and Skin Temperature Changes in Young Women with Lipodystrophy: A Pilot Study // PubMed:
- Whole-body vibration in the reduction of the cellulite // PubMed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30300017
I'm Tanya, and I love lifting weights. 6 years ago, I picked up Olympic weightlifting and CrossFit. Weightlifting is a unique sport because it's just you against the bar. There are no teammates to help you out; it's all on you.
I'm also passionate about helping other women achieve their fitness goals. That's why I started my blog and write some products reviews. I want to show other women that they can do anything they set their mind to!