How to use massage gun is simple – turn it on, select your preferred attachment and speed, then gently press it against the muscles you want to target. Move it slowly across the area for premium relief.
Who Needs a Massage Gun?
When to Use a Massage Gun
Before the Workout (Warm-Up)
After the Workout (Recovery)
Massage guns also work well after you have finished working out; they help reduce soreness, alleviate tension in tight areas of the body, and encourage faster recovery time while reducing inflammation or swelling following rigorous exercises that generate lactic acid buildup, which could lead to delayed onset muscle soreness [DOMS].
After your workout, allow 10-15 minutes for your heart rate to normalize before utilizing higher settings coupled with moderate pressure to target any worn-out parts of the body slowly using deliberate motions, stopping occasionally-overworking yourself may cause unnecessary pain disorders such as tendinitis, etc., focusing more where intense activity incurred during exercise happened.
How to Use a Massage Gun
Trigger Point Therapy
Cross-Fiber Friction Method
Using a Massage Gun on Different Body Parts
Common Massage Gun Using Mistakes
Skipping Your Warm-up
Applying Too Much Pressure
Moving Too Quickly
Ignoring Pain or Discomfort
Focusing Solely on Painful Areas
Overusing the Massage Gun
Neglecting Proper Maintenance
Massage Gun We Recommend
Ekrin B37 – The Best Massage Gun Out There
- Vibration Source: Brushless level 3 motor
- Wireless: Yes
- Battery Life: Up to 8 hours
- Speed Options: 1400-3200 RPM
- Attachments: 4 attachments: flat, round, fork and bullet
- Additional Features: 15 degree angled handle for easier use, charging cable & adapter, carrying bag for the full product + attachments
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty + 30-day return policy
photo by @bobbydazzler84
8 hours of battery life
4 different attachments to choose from are decent
The intelligent design makes it easy for self-use on most areas of your body regardless of your individual flexibility
You get a cool-looking medium-sized carrying bag with the product
Could be better:
The product bag may take up a significant amount of space if you’re going to the gym or traveling
The foamy attachment, even though it is sturdy, might wear out over time, requiring replacement
Is There a Proper Way to Use a Massage Gun?
There are numerous massage gun uses, and doing them right can make all the difference. To get started, be sure to do some light stretching or warm-up exercises beforehand to get those muscles ready for action. Next up, take some time to explore your device's settings and attachments so that you know exactly what you're working with. When you're ready to go, choose the appropriate speed and extension based on your needs and desired level of pressure.
Keep in mind that when it comes to actually using the massage gun, slow and steady wins the race! Move gently over muscle groups while avoiding bony spots, joints, tendons, and ligaments. And if you start feeling any discomfort or pain along the way? Stop right away and seek out a pro opinion. By taking things slow and following these crucial tips along your massage journey – trust me when I say this could easily be one of life's modern-day pleasures.
What Is Percussive Therapy?
When talking about massage guns or massagers, the term percussive tends to pop up a lot. While it may sound complicated, it really isn’t. Percussive massage refers to applying repeated and rapid pressure on the affected area. So while the massage gun vibrates, it does just that - constant and very fast pressure.
Should You Apply Pressure When Using a Massage Gun?
When it comes to using a massage gun, applying proper and gentle pressure is vital. The powerful vibrations are already doing the heavy lifting, so avoid pressing down too hard or causing any pain. Instead, focus on maintaining a loose grip and let the massage gun work its way into your muscles. Keep in mind that excessive pressure can result in injury or bruising, so always listen to your body and adjust accordingly for a safe and effective experience with your massage gun.
How Many Minutes Should I Use a Massage Gun?
Everyone asks, “How long should you use a massage gun?” – and it's a good question! It's a loaded question because your body is unique - so don't expect the same answer as everyone else! Depending on which muscles need massaging and healing, we recommend anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes per area of focus for optimal results. Don't forget to pay close attention and adjust according to your own comfort level and muscle responsiveness - overuse can lead to discomfort or even fatigue. So be patient with yourself!
Massage guns can be tricky tools to navigate, but fear not! I am here to shed some light on the subject. To use your massage gun effectively, it is vital to get familiar with its features and attachments as well as understand the proper technique. Read the massage gun instructions thoroughly. Don't just go in guns blazing! Start with gentle pressure and take time on each muscle group. Remember to listen closely to your body's reaction.
Now for some common mistakes: don't press too hard or stay in one spot for too long, as this may cause bruising or discomfort that defeats the purpose of using a massage gun. Also, avoid bones and joints at all costs! Nobody wants an injury from something meant for recovery.
But hey — learning is a journey we should take together! If you have any comments or tips about using massage guns that I haven't covered yet (unlikely!), feel free to drop them below!
If you have experience with a massage gun or have questions or comments about one, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. We are here to learn, and I’ve found myself learning so much from my readers – so any tips that you might have and I haven’t covered above – please let me know in the comment section below!
- The Acute Effects of a Percussive Massage Treatment with a Hypervolt Device // NCBI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7675623/
- Try a Massage Gun for Relieving Aches and Pains // ClevelsndClinic: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/are-massage-guns-for-percussive-therapy-worth-it/
- How to Use a Massage Gun Correctly, According to Experts // Shape: https://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/exercise-recovery/how-to-use-massage-gun
- How To Use a Massage Gun for Muscle Recovery // NessWell: https://nesswell.com/how-to-use-massage-gun/
- Do Massage Guns Work? // VeryWell: https://www.verywellfit.com/do-massage-guns-really-work-5114083
- Do Massage Guns Work? The Science of Percussive Therapy // Homedics: https://blog.homedics.com/relief/do-massage-guns-work-the-science-of-percussive-therapy/
- Should You Skip the Massage Gun? // WellAndGood: https://www.wellandgood.com/massage-gun/
- Considering a massage gun? // UCLAHealth: https://www.uclahealth.org/news/considering-a-massage-gun-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-percussive-therapy
- 5 Things You Should Know About Massage Guns // MuscleAndFitness: https://www.muscleandfitness.com/features/feature-gear/5-things-you-should-know-about-massage-guns/
My name is Ihor and I have been a professional weightlifter since 1996. With over 20 years of competition experience, my resume includes European Champion in 2009 and the silver medalist at 2011's Senior World Championships – 105kg division.
I competed at the 2008, 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics.
After hanging up my own competitive lifting shoes, I decided to share my huge background as a coach. I am currently coaching multiple athletes who are competing at national and international competitions.