Oats in Protein Shakes: Oats provide a great source of energy, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Adding protein powder allows you to make a delicious snack or meal that offers a full nutrient profile and tastes great with other foods.
Can You Put Oats In a Protein Shake?
Reasons to Put Oats in a Protein Shake
Here are the benefits of mixing oatmeal with protein shakes:
Perhaps one of the biggest benefits of putting oats in your protein shake is convenience. Oats can be added to your shake raw or cooked with little preparation needed. Both oats and protein powder are easily mixed using water, milk, or juice. If you’re looking for some healthy fats, you may add avocado and peanut butter into the mix.
Who Should Not Mix Oats With Protein Shakes?
Certain Diseases or Sensitivity
You Don’t Like Texture
How to Choose the Best Oats and Protein to Mix Together?
- Rolled Oats
- Raw Oats
- Fine Oats
- Oat Bran
- Whey Isolate
- Whey Concentrate
- Whey Hydrolysate
- Plant Protein (pea, pea + rice, hemp and other)
If you want a protein shake with oats before bed, better go with casein. However, due to the thick texture of casein, it is better to add more water or milk so that the shake can be mixed well and has a good texture. If you're looking for a shake in the morning, whey and oatmeal make a great combination.
Optional extras include peanut butter, avocado, fruits, and vegetables depending on your preference.
Protein Powder We Recommend
Can I Put Raw Oats in My Protein Shake?
Raw oats are fine to put in a protein shake if you want and have no digestion issues, but taste may be best when soaked in water, milk, or juice first. And keep in mind that if you want to eat raw oats, it is better to choose rolled oats that have been steamed and are safer to eat.
How Much Oats Do You Put in a Protein Shake?
You can vary the amount of oats depending on the shake thickness you're going for or your carbs and calorie goals. However, a general rule is to add around ½ cup of oats to 1 scoop of protein powder. You need to experiment.
Can I Mix Oats With Protein Powder?
Protein powder tastes great when mixed with most types of oats or oatmeal. When mixing oats with protein powder, use a liquid such as water or milk to reduce the dryness and help the oats to bind to the powder.
Summary - Putting Oats in Protein Shakes
Putting oats into your protein shake provides an excellent source of energy, has a number of nutrients, and tastes delicious when combined with other ingredients. Oats can be added to protein shakes to make a great snack or meal.
The Transparent Labs Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate is our recommended protein source to add to oats.
Do you add oats to your protein powder, and how do you like the taste and texture? Tell me about your experiences.
- Premier Protein vs Muscle Milk
- Does Protein Powder Have Caffeine
- Best Optimum Nutrition Flavor
- Best Tasting Protein Powder With Water
- Best Myprotein Flavour
- Best Protein Powder To Lower Cholesterol
- Best Low Sodium Protein Powder
- Best Chocolate Vegan Protein Powder
- Best Lactose Free Protein Powder
- Best Creatine Monohydrate for Women
- The Nutrition Source // Hsph: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/oats/
- Zinc - Health Professional // Ods: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/
- The future of oats in the food and health continuum // Cambridge: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/future-of-oats-in-the-food-and-health-continuum/16CD4C551B9F6F9DA6FE5620723A8764
- 5 Ways to Make Protein Oatmeal // Eatingbirdfood: https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/protein-oatmeal/
- The safety of raw oatmeal // Fyi: https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/safefood/2019/01/14/the-safety-of-raw-oatmeal/
Oleksandr is a professional fitness nutritionist, certified by FPA (Fitness Professional Association). Oleksandr adheres to the principles of evidence-based dietetics and instills in his clients a healthy relationship with food - without strict prohibitions on favorite foods and regular disruptions. His main task – not only get a result for you, but also maintain it for many years, enjoying tasty and delicious food.