Running 3 miles every day can have positive effects on your health. It’s an excellent way to burn calories, which can help you lose weight. Daily running can also help you improve your stamina. However, it’s important to start off slow and take breaks as your body needs it.
Why 3 Miles?
The main reason people want to run 3 miles a day is to lose weight. And to lose weight, you need to burn calories. Running is an efficient way to burn calories. It’s also a form of exercise that’s accessible to most people. There’s no need to buy a membership or invest in expensive equipment. All you need is good quality shoes and a safe area to run.
So, why is 3 miles a common target for runners? The CDC recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity every week. One of the most common ways to do this is to break it down into five 30-minute exercise sessions. This means 5 days where the person exercises and 2 rest days. The average runner can run 3 miles in approximately 33 to 36 minutes. However, beginners could take roughly 45 minutes to complete this run.
For the average runner, 3 miles is the perfect goal. It’s a long enough distance to see results when you commit to running regularly. But, this distance isn’t too complicated and it doesn’t put too much stress on the body.
Is Running 3 Miles a Day Good?
Running 3 miles a day for a month is good for most people. This is one of the most efficient ways to lose weight, improve stamina, and keep your muscles in good shape.
However, there are times when running 3 miles every day isn’t good. Always listen to your body. If you’re a beginner, the whole 3 mile distance might be more than your body can handle. Set goals for yourself to gradually reach this distance.
It’s important not to overdo it when you’re trying to reach your goal. If your muscles are aching or feeling sore, it’s recommended to take a day off. Don’t push yourself harder than you can handle because you could hurt yourself.
What Are the Benefits of Running 3 Miles a Day?
Your overall health could benefit from running three miles a day. Running is an excellent way to stay active and keep your body in good shape. If running is your main form of exercise, it helps to have a target goal. So, what are some of the main benefits of running 3 miles?
Keep Muscles Toned
To build muscle, you need to lift weights or do strength training workouts. Running is an efficient way to keep your muscles toned and defined. If you want to focus on the strength of your lower body muscles, running 3 miles a day is beneficial. This exercise will include extra work on your:
- Lower back;
Aerobic activity is essential for a healthy heart, especially as you age. Doctors recommend running to decrease the risk of heart disease and other heart-related illnesses. However, it’s just as important for your heart to run at a steady pace. Running at too high of a speed could cause heart rhythm problems or other complications.
Stamina & Endurance
Running is a great way to improve your stamina and endurance. This can be beneficial for a lot of other activities in your life. You may notice that after running 3 miles daily on a regular basis, you have more energy for other activities. This could help you enjoy physical activities for longer periods of time.
Did you know that running could also improve the strength of your bones? When you run, you support your own weight. This is a great way to keep your bones strong.
- Boost your metabolism;
- Sleep better at night;
- Reduce mental stress;
- Lower risks of diseases;
- Increase energy.
What Happens in Your Body During a 3 Mile Run?
Are you curious about the running 3 miles a day transformation? Certain things happen in your body during a run that contributes to the transformation.
- Increase of energy - as you run, your body produces more adenosine triphosphate. This compound is responsible for providing energy for muscle contraction.
- Blood pressure drops - running can help stabilize your blood pressure. If your blood pressure gets too high, you could be at risk of hypertension and other health complications.
- Increased heart rate - the faster you run, the more your heart rate will increase. Increasing your heart rate can help oxygen and nutrients to flow through your blood to your muscles.
- Burn body fat - cardio exercises help your body burn fat. Make sure you’re running at a pace where you can breathe easily. If you get to the point where you’re struggling to breathe, you could be putting too much stress on your cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems.
Can You Lose Weight Running 3 Miles Per Day?
- Height & weight of a runner;
- The speed you’re running at;
- Running surface (flat vs incline).
How Many Calories Are Burned on a 3 Mile Run?
Running 3 Miles a Day Before and After (Result During 30 Days)
Strong Lower Body Muscles
Improved Mental Health
What Are The Disadvantages Of Running 3 Miles A Day?
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Running 3 Miles a Day
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink water before, during, and after a run. Dehydration can lead to muscle cramping.
- Warm up before running. This should include 5 to 7 minutes of stretching and rhythmic motions. Warming up is important to avoid injury. You should also cool down after the run.
- Don’t rush. How fast you complete this distance isn’t important, especially in the beginning. Go at a slower pace and gradually get faster as your body gets used to the distance.
- Try intervals. The best way to complete this distance while also challenging yourself is by using intervals. Try to include walking intervals when you run because it gives you a chance to catch your breath.
How to Start Running 3 Miles a Day: 4 Tips
Tip 1: Keep Track
- How far you ran;
- Time spent running;
- How you ran (walk/jog/run);
- How was the experience? (any challenges or obstacles?).
Tip 2: Pay Attention to What Your Body Tells You
Tip 3: Allow Rest Days
Tip 4: Go The Distance
How Will Running 3 Miles Change My Body?
Running 3 miles will help to burn body fat and keep lower body muscles in good shape. You may also notice that you have more energy and your endurance has improved after running 3 miles regularly for a month.
Does Running 3 Miles a Day Build Muscle?
Running 3 miles a day won’t build muscle. However, if you build muscle through strength workouts, running will help you keep these muscles in good shape.
Running 3 miles a day is an excellent way to stay in good shape. This run is doable and challenging, which is why so many runners aim for the 3-mile goal. People that run 3 miles daily can lose weight, but they will also need to make some changes to their diet.
Have you completed the 3 mile run? Let us know how long it took you in the comments below.
- How much physical activity do adults need? // Cdc: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
- How Running Impacts Your Heart Health // Umiamihealth: https://news.umiamihealth.org/en/how-running-impacts-your-heart-health/
- How many calories will I burn if I run 3 miles in a day? // Healthline: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness/running-3-miles-a-day#calories-burned
- Calories Burned Calculator // Calculator: https://www.calculator.net/calories-burned-calculator.html
- A Scoping Review of the Relationship between Running and Mental Health // Ncbi: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7663387/
- What Are the Benefits and Risks of Running Every Day? // Healthline: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/running-everyday#risks
Ukrainian athlete specialising in the 400 metres hurdles. She won the silver medal in the event at the 2022 European Athletics Championships.
Tkachuk represented Ukraine at the 2016 Rio Olympics without advancing from the semi-finals, and at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, where she placed sixth in the final.